Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Monday, November 8, 2010
It's a very sore subject with us, hahahaha.
Anyways, a lot has happened in the last two months. In no particular order:
- We met with our photographer, Amanda Alt, and had our engagement pictures taken. Amanda is stellar, and I am going to devote an entire post to her work as soon as we get our engagement pictures back and I can post a few.
- We picked up our cardbox...it's actually a big metal and wood birdcage we found at TJMaxx. It's currently a very rustic red color...we may just leave it like that because it's so beautiful. I'll post a picture eventually.
- Our chapel double booked us. It's okay, but really unprofessional and lame. Apparently they do this a lot.
- I broke out the save the dates I ordered a very long time ago from The Knot (I got them at ridiculously rock-bottom prices). I collected most of the addresses I need, and those will go out ASAP. Again, an entire post will be dedicated to these little babies asap.
There is more, but those are the key items. More posts soon, I promise!!
Monday, August 9, 2010
I really can't even think about wedding stuff. I got 1/4 through a Brides magazine last night before I had to put it down and chill out. We have on year and I am freaking the f out!
I'm trying to force myself to be positive. Tonight I searched Etsy for shower stuff. I think we're going with retro picnic theme. It sounds really fun, and appropriate for July.
Here's some links to things I've found- what do you think?
Cupcake Toppers (!!!)
I am tickled pink over everything i just posted! I think I'll wear a polka dotted dress.
Monday, June 14, 2010
I've been going back and forth for awhile now on flowers vs. no flowers. I've decided last night after consulting with Mike that we will NOT be buying flowers! I appreciate other people's wedding flowers. I've seen gorgeous bouquets and cute centerpieces. It's just not for me. I'm too crafty and cost-conscious. They will die the next day. It's just not me. Bottom line. I don't care how abnormal it is or what people will say. I hate that I have to defend it in the first place.
We already have non-floral centerpieces covered (see nearly EVERY post I've ever written), so the only flower substitutes we have to worry about are the bridal party's. We really like bouquets like this. I could probably make them myself, but that girl does really amazing work. I like the idea of button bouquets. This one is special because it has other little bits of things. It's very me.
I know that guys won't care, but I'm wondering what bridesmaids will really think. Is it too weird and unconventional? I'd like to be in a wedding with alternative..stuff. I think these are great. I'd like to say it's my wedding and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks, but I guess I care too much. I'd like to think whoever I ask to be in my wedding will at least know me enough and love me enough to respect my alternative, non-offensive choices.
This is too deep. I need to stop caring!
PS, I think our flower girl will still throw petals, because I can't think of anything else for her to throw!
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
- We booked a photographer! Amanda Alt WORK IT OUT. We weren't necessarily looking for a photographer yet, but I had a million people suggest that I "fan" her Facebook business page. I'm very glad I did. Her work is very fresh and new, and she's really inspired me to think outside of the box and just go crazy. I thought I had a lot of ideas about wedding pictures- what would look nice, pretty views, etc. I threw all of that out the window, now I'm just concerned about having fun and staying true to ourselves. Big bold colors and kitsch. Seriously. I'm done caring about what people will think!
- With our booking we receive a complimentary engagement session! We weren't going to do this otherwise, but this is free and gives us a chance to really get to know Amanda. I think we're going to do this later this summer. We've talked about it, and we're going to go with a yellow and gray color palate. I guess it's not necessary, but I'm into it. I've already bought...stuff..for the pictures, I can't wait! I don't want to give too much away, I love surprising people!
- I'm ditching those shoes I posted about. I woke up the other day and realized I hate them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the boldest, bluest shoes I can find as my "something blue". I'm a total shoe freak, I have a million pairs in a million colors. nothing in the wedding is blue...I think that makes it all the more fun.
- We ordered half of our centerpieces! I bought 12 manzanita branches, 2 bags of moss, and 12 black wooden containers from Blooms and Branches.
- Today I entered Mike and I to win a wedding in Bermuda. LOL at this. In the contest rules, it says you are judged on your picture and 10 reasons. I am notoriously ugly in pictures, but I think we picked a decent one. Please comment if you feel compelled to do so. I don't think it has any bearing on the competition, but it can't hurt!
- I need a photobooth. I'm obsessed with this idea, and it NEEDS to happen.
More later, maybe!
Monday, March 29, 2010
This bakery is run by a wife and husband team of chefs. I haven't met or talked to the husband, but the wife is so friendly and amazing. I felt like we all really clicked. I'm realizing more and more that getting along personally with the vendors is a huge deal, and vital to the overall success of the wedding. It's hard to trust someone who isn't nice. Early on when we were looking at reception locations, we talked to this one woman who was just awful. She was very pushy about stupid details (exactly where the cake HAD to be placed, etc.) and was just downright intimidating. I don't understand mean people to begin with... but when we're talking about contracts worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, you'd imagine people would kiss your ass a little (or at least muster up good manners).
Anyways, we went with them! I figured we would- the tasting would have had to of been horrible for us not to. We got to try both vanilla and chocolate cake with raspberry filling on top, and pistachio and banana walnut with chocolate on top. Everything was DELICIOUS! We ended up with red velvet, french vanilla, and banana walnut cupcakes all with butter cream icing; chocolate with chocolate icing; and carrot cake with cream cheese icing. We ordered 40 of each- Mike thinks we'll have to get more. I'm unsure. He's probably right. For our top/cutting/anniversary cake, we got a chocolate cake on top of a vanilla cake with that delicious raspberry filling. It will be frosted with butter cream icing, and they will pipe on branches and ivory hydrangeas. Oh yeah, all of the cupcake icing (minus the chocolate) will be tinted ivory as well.
I am so pleased. It's nice to cross something off our list. The price was really good, and we were able to put half of it down. The less money we have to pay out the week/day of the wedding, the better!
A few last minute wedding items: my BFFs wedding is THIS Saturday(!!) and I was just asked to be a reader in another friend's wedding in May. I'm loving all of this wedding action.
Friday, March 26, 2010
One of the reasons we planned on such a long engagement (about 2 and a half years!), was so that we could afford the things we wanted and not have to compromise too much. Before we even were engaged, we had many of those “well IF we ever got married we COULD…” conversations. Things we were dead set on as a couple were having Jones Soda (customized of course) for our guest’s favors, dancing our first dance to Iron and Wine’s cover of Such Great Heights, and using brown and cream as our color scheme.
Thank you Jones Soda for ruining our dreams! WTH!
Back, probably a year and a half ago or so, we used jonessoda.com to estimate how much it would cost for 175-200 bottles. With shipping, we figured maybe $400-$500 max for soda + shipping. Steep, I know, but it’s what we’ve wanted longer than we knew we wanted each other (ha!) and we were willing to pay the price.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when we went back to the website to start ordering. I want to say the price of the soda remained the same, but the shipping jumped so high that it would actually cost more to ship it to our home than it would to purchase them! With a few clicks of a mouse, our soda dreams died.
So with that, I am having my personal wedding crisis of the hour/day/week/month. I don’t know how other brides are, but I find something stupid to obsess about daily- shoes, hair, Mike, food, etc. I don’t mind it- I think I probably actually like it. I love the wedding planning process. Anyways, so now I have favors on the brain.
I know what I do not want – chocolate anything, charity favors, bubbles, or bells. No real particular reason for not wanting any of those, I/we just don’t. I guess I like unique consumables. Maybe keepsakes that aren’t cheesy.
I’m thinking maybe I’ll start making apple butter in my crock and jarring it. I don’t think that would cost too much money- the ingredients are super cheap and I bet I can get an excellent deal on jars somewhere. I feel like it might fit our general aesthetic and vibe, too. Apple butter…trees…birds…sort of natural and organic, without being weird and hippie. Maybe we could go to an orchard and pick the apples ourselves? The Knot has favor tags that match our save the dates (brown with a while bird on a branch) – that might be cute to tie around the lid with twine or something.
Decisions, decisions. I still want the soda.